Hands up if you’ve ever staved off hunger pangs by grabbing something on the go, that might not have been the most nutritious choice.
It’s easy to select foods that might satisfy an empty tummy initially, but give it half an hour, and the hunger pangs are back with a big belly rumble! Indeed, if you’ve read my story, you’ll know that Frog Hollow Super Snacks was born, because I’d become disenchanted that while following a well-known weight-loss programme, I’d been encouraged to choose fat-free and diet foods, that contained artificial sweeteners and additives. I felt that these weren’t filling me with energy and in fact, were doing me harm. That could have been my first light bulb moment when it came to mindful eating.
Eating should, of course, be pleasurable, it should satisfy your senses, and you certainly shouldn’t feel guilty for consuming the foods you enjoy… But it’s also wise to eat with purpose and consideration. The purpose is to nourish yourself and your body. The consideration comes from being aware of where your food comes from, and how it affects your body, and the world around you. Some experts even advocate that mindful eating is the non-diet that gets results.
Here are five simple tips to help you get started with mindful eating:
- Just Eat – When you’re sitting down for your meal, make sure that’s all you’re doing. Don’t read the paper or watch the television. Just enjoy your good food.
- Take your time – Chew, chew and chew some more. Take time to satisfy the senses and enjoy the texture and taste of your food.
- Don’t always listen to Mother – Did your parents or grandparents, drill into you the importance of a clean plate? So many of us were raised to finish our meals; it’s become a habit. So the next time you get to F for full, just stop! I’m not advocating that you waste your food, but reach for the Tupperware and package up the leftovers for another meal.
- The three Ns – My favourite tip for mindful eating is borrowed from Karen Lee at The Sensitive Foodie Kitchen. The next time you choose to snack, ask yourself these three questions… Is it natural? Is it normal? And, is it necessary?
- It’s not all about the food – At Frog Hollow we’re proud to be #planetfriendly, and we encourage you to think about what you buy and how you reuse and recycle packaging. We use recyclable, biodegradable packaging and avoid plastic wherever we can. To reduce packaging, we offer a refill option on the glass jars filled with our energy bites. We’re also proud to support the work of The Final Straw Solent. A group of people from all walks of life, who have come together as a community to minimise the amount of plastic entering our local seas. If you’d like to be more mindful of packaging and single-use plastic, check out their website HERE. Or why not join the Ferry Boat Inn Beach Clean Up, this coming weekend. I’ll see you there!
All Frog Hollow Super Snacks are nutrient-rich and free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar! So you can be sure that you’re choosing nourishment when you snack with us! Shop HERE.